Transferring your vehicle

In New Mexico, you must title and register your automobile simultaneously. However, in other circumstances, you can simply transfer ownership. The article below will guide you through these steps and provide you with some basic information.

Transferring a Car Title In New Mexico

You must submit the following documentation to transfer your title:
  • identity verification
  • residency driver's license
  • proof of insurance
  • current New Mexico license plate
The automobile owner must sign the designation. The vendor must provide you with odometer disclosure paperwork, and the vehicle must be inspected for emissions. Bring all of your documentation and payment to your local Motor Vehicle Department.
Your vehicle will be registered whenever you submit the DMV transmit papers and pay the fees. If you are titling an automobile for the first time, you should do so in person.

Out-of-state transfer

When moving to New Mexico, you must bring your out-of-state documents as well as a VIN check. The latter is required to prove that your car or motorcycle is not stolen or involved in any criminal activity.
If it is a new vehicle, you must show both the manufacturer's declaration of origin and the invoice. You'll need an odometer statement if you're buying a used automobile or motorcycle, which is also necessary for a private sale.

Fees and Applicable Payments

The cost of a change of ownership is dependent on the vehicle's value and age. The annual cost ranges from $27 to $62 depending on the car's value and age.
If the car was a gift, you must complete notarized paperwork confirming that it was a donation and that no further tax is due.

Requesting A Duplicate

You can also go to your local MVD office and obtain a duplicate. You may do so if your designation has been lost or deleted. To do so, you must complete an Application for Duplicate Certificate, which is available at any NM MVD office or online.
Bring the completed form, along with proof of identity and residency, to the office. This service can be obtained at a reasonable cost. You must explain why you need the duplicate as part of filling out the form.

What happens when the owner Is deceased?

The issue of how to transfer ownership after the owner's death is based on whether the estate has been probated and whether a will exists. If it has been probated and someone has been appointed as the deceased's representative or has been granted power of attorney, they may transfer ownership to their name.
A copy of the court order appointing them as the representative is also required. If there is no will and no current application, you must apply to the state to secure the owner's right.
Before filing a copy of the death certificate and a certificate of transfer without probate, you must wait nearly a month.
To transfer ownership to a family member, complete an Affidavit of Gift of Motor Vehicle form. From there, the titling and registration procedures are the same. In that regard, the gift has been treated as a sale, and no excise duty is due.